Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Flippity-Flop

These days I just can't seem to make up my mind: FMP or Access. FMP Advanced has that groovy web-publishing thing now, which was enough to convince me that I should make our (temporary) Image Repository in that format. But of course there are compatablility issues, what with me being the ONLY person on campus that uses the software. No problem, I can publish it in kiosk mode. Sweet! Now my faculty can enjoy my database without the department investing in 900 gazillion license agreements. Oh yeah, without the server edition, only FIVE people can use it at once. That would be great if I could put everyone on a schedule, and I don't see that happening.

So Friday I had an epiphany: why not use Access? Really, most of the reasons I had against it were just personal preference. When I thought about it logically, it is the right choice for this project. Since this database will be shared, it's best to use a program that is supported on campus and that everyone basically has access to (he-he!).

Again, it's just a temporary solution, until we get a proper delivery system. So I will make the most of both worlds: I will keep my backend in FMP, and the "front end" in Access.

Now I just need to relearn Access. Ugh.

Nugget

No comments: